Ir al contenido principal

JOURNAL ENTRY #14: PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE EXPERIENCE

Animated Clipart English Teacher

As today I've finished my last practice session from my Professional Practice class, I would like you to share with you a little bit of my experience. Some months ago, when I learned that one of the subjects for this semester was going to be Professional Practice, I was a little bit concerned as, although I had been working for almost a year, I didn't feel that I was experienced enough to be constantly observed by someone whose particular job was criticizing my class, even though it was constructive criticism. Despite that, I felt that I needed to challenge myself and I just decided to go for it. I was lucky enough to have all my practice sessions in the place that I'm currently working, which is a little private English institution in Azcapotcalzo and, although I thought that it was going to be a bit easier as I was familiar with the place, it surprisingly was not as simple as I expected. I kinda felt that I had the responsibility of stepping up my English-teacher game as I was dealing, not only with a subject from school but with my actual job. 

Once the first sessions started, I learned a lot about myself as an educator. I realized that I was very patient with students and really creative when it came to developing ludic activities (especially impromptu), a strategy that, I think, all teachers develop (or at least should) over their professional years. As well, I learned many things about my lacks, which were mostly technical details from the lesson plans that I designed. According to my tutor, I had "very good lesson plans that could be even better" if I fixed those minor particularities, which really motivated me to look for new activities, change my class dynamics, and be more thoughtful about what I was including in each section of my plan. 

Reading my notes from the last few months, I recapped some recommendations that I was given through this brief but insightful journey and I would like to share them with you as I found them very useful, especially if you are seeking to polish your planning skills: 

1. Manage your time: Have realistic expectations about how much time each activity will take. Avoid losing a lot of time in activities that can take minutes to do. Sometimes it is good to set an alarm or timer to let students know that they have a time limit and they need to rush.

2. Write clear objectives: Try not to have a very general or unrealistic objective that you know you are not going to accomplish in one single class. Instead, try to come up with simple tasks that students will be able to do at the end of each session using one part of the learned vocabulary or grammar (e.g. "At the end of the class, Ss' will be able to describe their bedroom using adjectives of shapes, color and size")

3. Spanish can be helpful: Even though we know as English teachers that overusing Spanish in the classroom is not a really good way to motivate students to practice the language, it might be a good idea to use a little of their L1 in initial stages as sometimes they might feel overwhelmed, especially when it comes to instructions, issue that eventually if not addressed can lead them to become unmotivated and see the language as a burden instead of an opportunity. 

4. Distribute activities for skills development: Don't focus only on one language skill. Make sure that your students can practice all skills (listening, writing, reading, speaking) within the same session. If you don't have a lot of time, try to take time to distribute each skill into the sessions you have scheduled so students keep practicing the language in all its extensions.

5. Try to be detailed: Write each section of your lesson plan bearing in mind that someone else (let's say, a substitute teacher that is about to take over your class) will read it and will have to be able to understand every single stage clearly in order to take action. Attaching scans of the book pages or worksheets to be used might be helpful to make the following more accessible to readers. 

Have you ever faced any of these complications in your classroom? How have you dealt with them? What is something that you have recently learned about yourself as a teacher? Let me know in the comments.

Comentarios

  1. Hi Diego! I did struggle a lot with time management as well ;(( what I do is to plan 3/4 of the class. Let's say the class lasts 2 hours. Then I plan only for 1:30 hours. It's helped me a lot. I always cover all topics and finish on time. Nice tips, by the way. 😊

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I also think that developing as many skills within a single session is important although some skills are more time consuming than others. Don't be afraid to give students some independent assigments such as reading an article/book about a topic they like, writing a blog, twitting etc, some skills can be developed at home. Matching the productive stage in your LP to your objective is also a great way to ensure objectives are met.

    ResponderBorrar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas más populares de este blog

JOURNAL ENTRY #1: ABOUT ME

My name is Diego Roberto Rodriguez Farell, I am 22 years old and I am an English Teacher. Currently, I'm studying the English Teaching Major at Facultad de Estudios Superiores Acatlán from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. Besides being passionate about teaching, I really like to do some other activities in my spare time such as singing, listening to music, watching movies and films. In regards to my professional experience, I started working about a year ago as a substitute teacher in some schools ranging from public elementary institutes to some other language centers such as CELEX from the Instituto Politécnico Nacional that are more focused on teenagers and adults. As well, I spent some time working as a private tutor and also as a teacher in the Instituto de Formación e Investigación en Ciencias de la Educación y el Deporte, however, nowadays I am working in a private language school called Institute Global Competence Centre, where I teach students from differ

JOURNAL ENTRY #9: ADVANTAGES OF BILINGUALISM

Hey, guys. A few weeks ago I read a small article about bilingualism and, from the perspective of a language educator, I found it extremely interesting for many reasons so I wanted to share with you a small summary with the most important points regarding learning two languages at an early age. As teachers, I think it's important to know that theory establishes solid parameters of what a child or an adult can accomplish in a language classroom, especially with the youngest ones, and that is something, I reckon, that can be useful in class with our students if we really want to help them reach a proficient level. Let me tell you a little bit more about it. According to the Cambridge Dictionary, bilingualism can be defined as "the fact of being able to use two languages equally well", something that is a reality for millions of kids all around the world, particularly second-generation immigrants in English-speaking countries. This bilingualism can open many doors for

JOURNAL ENTRY #13: SOCIAL MEDIA IN THE ENGLISH CLASSROOM

Social media has become such an elemental part of our lives that, beyond allowing us to communicate with our beloved ones and share a little bit about us with the world, it has transformed into a tool for so many other fields that enables us to become our own bosses to run the business of a lifetime or even our own teachers to learn how to cook, play an instrument or speak a language at the click of a button. As English educators, rather than ignore this reality, it is important for us to acknowledge it, embrace it, and use it in our favor to potentialize our students' linguistic skills in the second language. For that reason, in this entry, I want to share with you some ideas on how you can use Youtuber, Twitter and other social media platform in your classroom to help your students to practice a little bit the language: 1. Youtube : Have a (private) YouTube channel exclusively for the class and assign students to upload short-films including role-plays (interviews, talk show